The inscription on this tin reads: ‘With the compliments of the English and Scottish joint Co-operative Wholesale Society Limited on the occasion of the opening of their new tea warehouse in Salford Manchester 1930.’ This new joint tea warehouse opened on Ordsall Lane on the 9th December 1930. Each visitor that attended the opening received a souvenir pamphlet and one of these decorated tins, filled with samples of co-operative tea. The land on which the warehouse was built was owned by the Manchester Ship Canal Co. and was in a prime location. The warehouse itself was close enough to the canal for ocean steamers and liners to unload straight inside. The opening of the warehouse was so popular and attracted so many visitors from different societies that the celebration was extended to include the 10th December. This extended opening would also have meant that more investors would get a chance to see the finished product. The size of the warehouse, shown on the tin, demonstrates just how big the CWS had become by this point.
Vote To Get This Artefact Included In The Museum
Voting Ends: 31st March '12