This tin once contained toffee made at the Crumpsall Biscuit Factory, later known as the Crumpsall Works. The Crumpsall Works opened in 1873 and was the first factory to be bought by the Co-operative Wholesale Society. There are reports of many logistical issues at first, including problems with production and even with intoxicated staff. On one occasion the society was fined £1 for creating a smoke nuisance. These complications were soon ironed out however, and the factory quickly became a great success. Eventually the Crumpsall Works were extended to include a cake factory, a sweets and toffee department and a drugs and sundries section. Over the next three decades the CWS grew vastly and by the turn of the century was one of the Uk’s ten largest businesses.
Vote To Get This Artefact Included In The Museum
Voting Ends: 31st March '12