Museum Artefacts

Tea Caddies

The Rochdale Equitable Pioneers Society got their tea licence in 1845. Tea was a very important commodity at that time. Statistics from between 1882 and 1937 show that the Co-operative Wholesale Society sold millions … Read more

0 Comments

0 Votes

Magic Lantern Projector

Co-operative societies would often use alternative methods of education such as magic lantern shows. Members of the public were able to borrow the lantern slides and a set of notes to take home and … Read more

0 Comments

0 Votes

Tea Pot

The caption on this teapot reads ‘C.W.S teas are filling the nation’s teapot’. This was a common slogan used at the beginning of the twentieth century. The trade in tea during this period was … Read more

0 Comments

5 Votes

Train Nameplate

This nameplate was unveiled at Rochdale Railway Station by Dennis Landau, Chief Executive of the CWS on 4 November 1982. Six days later, this event was featured on the front page of The Co-operative … Read more

1 Comment

Visitor Book

The Rochdale Equitable Pioneers Society visitor book was started in 1862, by which time the Pioneers were already receiving international visitors. There are records of visitors from London, Bavaria, Frankfort, Kent and Hamburg in … Read more

0 Comments

0 Votes

Rochdale Pioneers Biscuit Tin

Co-operative societies produced souvenirs like this biscuit tin for their members. The tin depicts the Crumpsall Works and shows the vast size of the establishment. As the first factory owned by the CWS, the … Read more

0 Comments

0 Votes

Crumpsall Toffee Tin

This tin once contained toffee made at the Crumpsall Biscuit Factory, later known as the Crumpsall Works. The Crumpsall Works opened in 1873 and was the first factory to be bought by the Co-operative … Read more

0 Comments

0 Votes

Rochdale Provident Co-operative Society Plate

The Rochdale Provident Society was established in 1870 by a number of people who did not agree with many of the Co-operative Wholesale Society’s principles that restricted the purchase of goods to wholesalers. The … Read more

0 Comments

0 Votes

Rochdale Pioneers Furnishing Department Mirror

As the Rochdale Equitable Pioneers Society developed, they opened new departments. Anything that people needed, they sought to provide, with the aim of being all-encompassing. In 1867, having already bought and developed many buildings … Read more

0 Comments

0 Votes

Dudley Irons

The Dudley Bucket and Fender Society began as a productive co-operative. They became part of the Co-operative Wholesale Society in 1908, along with works at Keighley and Birtley. The Dudley name was used for … Read more

0 Comments

0 Votes